WHAT IS THE HARDEST SUBSTANCE IN THE HUMAN BODY?
Many people may think that human bone is the hardest substance in the body. Human bone takes on the task of carrying around most of a person’s body weight. This would require a lot of strength. However, there is a substance in the body that is even stronger than bone and that substance is what protects human teeth. This substance is called tooth enamel.
Teeth have several layers. The white shiny outer layer called enamel is what gives teeth their strength. Tooth enamel helps protect the softer more vulnerable inner layers of a tooth. Because teeth take on a lot of force when a person bites and chews food, they need a hard outer structure. If tooth enamel is damaged the tooth may begin to deteriorate, break down and cause a person discomfort. This is why it’s so important to maintain healthy enamel.
HOW TO KEEP TEETH STRONG AND HEALTHY!
There are several ways to help keep tooth enamel healthy and strong. Some of these include:
- Cut down on consuming sugary drinks – Sugary drinks help to feed bacteria in the mouth. This bacteria creates acids that eat away at tooth enamel weakening it. When a person sips on a sugary drink throughout the day they have a greater chance of enamel breakdown. Drinking less sugary drinks and more water will help protect tooth enamel.
- Eat foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals that help keep enamel strong – One particular mineral that helps build stronger teeth is calcium. Consuming calcium rich foods on a daily basis is a great way to strengthen tooth enamel.
- Have routine cleanings and checkups – Scheduling a cleaning and check up every 3 to 6 months is the best way to keep teeth plaque and decay free.
- Use a soft toothbrush – A soft bristle toothbrush is the best type of toothbrush to use. Using a medium or hard bristle toothbrush can eventually wear away enamel leaving teeth more vulnerable to decay and sensitivity.
- Use fluoride – Fluoride In toothpaste or mouthwash can help to strengthen enamel and protect it from decay. Fluoride has also been shown to repair teeth that have the early stages of decay present.
- Protect teeth from grinding – If a person grinds, over time they wear down the tooth enamel. One way to avoid this is to have a night guard made. Night guards are made to fit tightly to the teeth and are worn at night to keep the teeth from grinding together.
- Get heartburn under control – If a person has constant heartburn their teeth can also be affected. Stomach acids that cause heartburn can begin to eat away at tooth enamel. Seeing a doctor and getting treatment for the heartburn is the best way to reduce the stomach acids.
At Paris Family Dental, with our experienced dentist, Dr. Brandon Del Toro, DDS, we know the importance of keeping teeth strong and healthy. Our goal is to help patients get the necessary care they need to avoid problems with their teeth. We stress the importance of daily brushing and flossing as well as scheduling routine cleanings and checkups at our Paris, TX office. To learn more about how to keep teeth healthy and strong contact Paris Family Dental for an appointment.